Click "View Detail" to apply
Certificate in Documentary Arts
The cornerstone of the CDS continuing education program is the Certificate in Documentary Arts. Enrollment in the certificate program is not required for students to take CDS courses; however, working toward a certificate provides a more formal process for involvement and for reaching specific goals. No prior educational specialization or expertise is required for enrollment in the program.
Certificate students receive special invitations to events and other unique opportunities at CDS.The certificate program establishes a process for engaging and empowering already motivated people to do the work they care about. Specific project goals, integral to the certificate program, create better opportunities for the successful completion of this work. In addition, certificate students can become part of a vibrant program with interested, supportive colleagues.
Students are encouraged to think broadly about their projects. While most are photo, audio, or video projects, students have also completed multimedia projects, websites, books, and installations.
• Application, statement of intention and a $80 registration fee
• Introductory Seminar to Documentary Studies class
• Final Project Seminar in Documentary Studies class (permission from the director of learning outreach is required: A written project description and a draft of the final project must be submitted at the beginning of the term)
• An Advanced Projects Seminar in the medium of your choice
• Roughly four electives in addition to the above required courses
• A total of 112 credit hours or class hours
• One substantial documentary project: This may be in audio, video, writing, photography, web based or multimedia. A ten-minute portion of the project will be presented to the public at the certificate ceremony.
• Students have four years from the time they enroll in the certificate program to finish
Click here to download Certificate Application form.